What are Dulcolax Tablets?
Dulcolax Tablets are used for the short-term relief of occasional constipation. Dulcolax Tablets contain bisacodyl and belong to a group of medicines known as stimulant laxatives, which increase bowel movements. This medicine does not help with weight loss.
What is constipation?
Healthy and regular bowel movements are essential for most people. However, what is 'normal and regular' varies from person to person. Some may have a bowel movement every day, others less often. Whatever it is like for you, your bowel movement should have a regular pattern.
- Constipation is an occasional problem for some people. For others, it may happen more often.
- It happens when the typical muscle actions in the bowel (large intestine) slow down. This can mean that material is not easily eliminated from the body
The cause of constipation is often not known. It can be associated with:
- A sudden change in diet
- A diet with not enough fibre
- Not drinking enough fluids.
- Loss of 'tone' of the bowel muscles in older people
- Medicines such as morphine or codeine
- Having to stay in bed for a long time
- Lack of exercise
Whatever the cause, constipation can be uncomfortable. It may make you feel bloated and heavy or generally 'off-colour'. Sometimes it causes headaches.
It is recommended to use changes in diet and bulk forming medicines to control constipation before using this medicine.
These healthy tips are recommended to try to prevent constipation happening:
- Eat a balanced diet including fresh fruit and vegetables
- Drink enough water so that you do not become dehydrated
- Keep up your exercise and stay fit
- Make time to empty your bowels when your body tells you
How to take Dulcolax Tablets
For constipation: Adults (including the elderly):
1 to 2 tablets at night.
- Swallow the tablets whole with water. The tablets should not be chewed or crushed.
- Milk, antacids or proton pump inhibitors (medicines which reduce stomach acid) should not be taken within one hour before or after taking Dulcolax Tablets. This is because they will stop the Dulcolax Tablets from working correctly.
If you have not taken Dulcolax Tablets before, start with one tablet and increase to two if necessary. When your bowel regularity has returned to normal, the dose can usually be stopped.
- This medication should NOT be taken for more than 5 days without medical supervision.
- This medication is for short term use only.
- This medication does NOT help with weight loss.
Length of treatment
These tablets should not be taken every day for more than 5 days. If you need laxatives every day, then you should see your doctor to find the cause of your constipation. Overuse can be harmful.
What do Dulcolax Tablets contain?
Each tablet contains 5 mg of bisacodyl as the active ingredient.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 2-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.49 - Delivery within 2-5 working days