What are Anusol Suppositories?
Anusol Suppositories help to relieve the swelling, itch and irritation of internal piles (haemorrhoids) and other related conditions, such as anal itching. It contains the following ingredients:
- Zinc oxide and Bismuth salts are mildly astringent and antiseptic. They soothe and protect raw areas.
- Balsam Peru is mildly antiseptic and has a protective action on sore areas and may help healing.
What are piles?
Piles (haemorrhoids) are swollen blood vessels which occur inside or outside the back passage (anus).
Some people have piles without experiencing any symptoms, but sufferers may notice the following:
- Bleeding: Although streaks of bright red blood on the toilet paper are not uncommon in people with piles, it may be a sign of a more serious condition and you should see your doctor to check this.
- Swelling: The swollen blood vessels may be felt as a lump or blockage in the anus.
- Pain, itching and irritation in the anal region.
At least 40% of people suffer from piles at some time in their lives. However, many people are too embarrassed to seek advice or treatment and, as a result, experience unnecessary discomfort.
Fortunately, there is much you can do to ease the situation and relieve the symptoms.
What causes piles?
Several factors can contribute to the development of piles:
- The most common cause is straining during a bowel movement, usually because of constipation.
- During pregnancy, the growing baby exerts increased pressure on the anal vessels, which can lead to piles.
- Heredity: you may be more likely to develop piles if your family has a history of suffering.
A Healthy Living Plan for Piles Sufferers
You can reduce the risk of piles by following a healthy diet and lifestyle that helps to keep your bowels working regularly and prevents constipation. This can also help to speed recovery from piles.
- Eat a high fibre diet including foods like brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta etc.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, and salads.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Don't eat too much salty, fatty, or sugary foods such as crisps, burgers, and cakes.
- Cut back on the amount of alcohol, tea, and coffee you drink.
- Exercise regularly.
A healthy diet and lifestyle will reduce the likelihood of constipation and encourage a regular bowel habit. Go to the toilet regularly and try to avoid straining. Leaning forward from the hips may help.
How to use Anusol Suppositories
Anusol Suppositories should be inserted into the anus
- Wash anal area and dry gently with a soft towel before using this medicine.
- Remove plastic cover from the suppository before use.
- Wash your hands before and after using Anusol.
- The suppository will melt after insertion.
Adults and the elderly: Insert one suppository into the back passage (anus) far enough so that it doesn't slip out, at night, in the morning and after each bowel movement.
What do Anusol Suppositories contain?
The active substances are per 100 g: Zinc oxide 296 mg, Bismuth subgallate 59 mg, Balsam Peru 49 mg, Bismuth oxide 24 mg.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £40 - Delivery within 2-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.89 - Delivery within 2-5 working days