What is Loperamide Hydrochloride, and when is it used?
Loperamide is a medicine to treat Diarrhoea (runny poo). It can also help with short term diarrhoea or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Loperamide is also used for long-lasting Diarrhoea from bowel problems such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and short bowel syndrome. If you have a colostomy to give you a stoma (an opening in your stomach to collect poo from your body), Loperamide can help to slow down your bowel and make your poo thicker.
Key facts of Loperamide
- Diarrhoea which starts suddenly usually gets better on its own within 5 to 7 days. If you need immediate, short term relief, taking Loperamide can cut down the number of times you go to the toilet, and it makes your poo less watery.
- Adults should take 2 tablets or capsules straight away if they suffer from short term diarrhoea. After this take 1 each time you do a runny poo.
- Don't exceed the recommended amount. Exceeding the recommended amount can lead to serious heart problems (including a fast or irregular heartbeat).
How will it treat my symptoms?
Loperamide works by slowing down the muscle movements in your gut, so an increased amount of water is absorbed from your stools. This leads to your stools becoming firmer, and they're passed less frequently.
What causes Diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is usually caused by a bowel infection known as gastroenteritis. Other known causes are:
- Food allergy
If you are taking any other medicine currently, check the side effects to make sure that they do not cause Diarrhoea. Chronic or long-term Diarrhoea can be a symptom of a more severe condition, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
Standard Shipping: £2.89
Free Shipping: Available on orders over £40.
Standard Shipping: £9.99
Rest of the World (ROW) Shipping:
Standard Shipping: £19.99
- Additional customs duties or taxes may apply for international shipments depending on the recipient country's regulations. Customers are advised to check local customs regulations before placing an order.
- Ensure you select the appropriate shipping option at checkout.
- Delivery times may vary based on the destination.
- For more information, see our delivery information or view our returns policy.
Customers also bought
Hycosan Extra Dry Eye Drops - 7.5ml - Pack of 3Eye CareIn stock
Solpadeine Max Soluble (Codeine/Paracetamol) - 32 TabletsPain ReliefIn stock
Flarin 200mg Soft Capsules – 30 CapsulesPain ReliefIn stock
2 x Fluconazole Fungal Infection Capsule - 150mgFungal InfectionsIn stock
Nytol One-A-Night 50mg - 20 TabletsSleeping AidsIn stock
Voltarol 12 Hour Joint Pain Relief Gel - 100gPain ReliefIn stock
1 x Fluconazole Fungal Infection Capsule - 150mgFungal InfectionsIn stock
Daktarin (Miconazole) 2% Cream - 15gFoot CareIn stock
Paracetamol Tablets 500mg - 96 TabletsPain ReliefIn stock
Wind-Eze – 20 Soft Gel CapsulesTrapped WindIn stock
Epimax Original Cream - 500gSkin CareIn stock
Nurofen Plus (12.8mg/200mg) - 32 TabletsPain ReliefIn stock
Top products in this category
60 Loperamide Hydrochloride Diarrhoea Relief 2mg CapsulesDiarrhoeaIn stock
Enterosgel Intestinal Toxin Binding Adsorbent Gel - 225gDiarrhoeaIn stock
Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride) IBS Relief 2mg – 6 Soft CapsulesIBSIn stock
Imodium Instant Melts - 18 TabletsIBSIn stock
Enterosgel Oral Adsorbent 15g - 10 SachetsDiarrhoeaIn stock
Imodium Classic (2mg) - 12 CapsulesIBSIn stock
Imodium Classic (2mg) - 18 CapsulesIBSIn stock
Imodium Plus Comfort Multi-Symptom Relief – 6 TabletsDiarrhoeaIn stock
Imodium Instant Melts - 12 TabletsIBSIn stock
Enterosgel Intestinal Toxin Binding Adsorbent Gel - 90gDiarrhoeaIn stock
Imodium Plus 2mg/125mg - 12 CapletsDiarrhoeaIn stock
Enterosgel Kids - Diarrhoea Treatment - 90gDiarrhoeaIn stock
UK registered pharmacy
The MHRA regulates medicines and medical devices in the UK.
GPhC regulated pharmacy
The GPhC regulates pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacies in Great Britain.
PCI DSS Compliant
PCI DSS is an information security standard for organisations that handle credit card payments.
ICO registered website
The UK's independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest.