What are Maloff Protect Tablets?
Maloff Protect belongs to a group of medicines called antimalarials. It contains two active ingredients, atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride.
Maloff Protect is used to prevent malaria. It is available from the pharmacy for adults. It is not suitable for use in children or adolescents unless it has been prescribed for them by a doctor. If you are under 18 and you are visiting an area where there is malaria, talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist for advice.
Malaria is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito, which passes the malaria parasite (Plasmodium falciparum) into the bloodstream. Maloff Protect prevents malaria by killing this parasite.
Protect yourself from malaria
People of any age can get malaria. It is a serious disease, but it is preventable. As well as taking Maloff Protect, it is very important that you also take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. The bite avoidance measures listed below should be used in combination for maximum effectiveness.
- Use insect repellent on exposed areas of the skin.
- Wear clothing that covers most of the body, especially after sunset as this is the time when mosquitoes are most active.
- Sleep in a room with screened windows and doors or under a mosquito net (it is preferable to sleep under a mosquito net treated with insecticide if possible).
- Close windows and doors at sunset, if they are not screened.
- Sleep in a room with air-conditioning or a fan, as mosquitoes are less active in cooler temperatures.
- Consider using an insecticide (mats, spray, plug-ins) to clear a room of insects or to stop mosquitoes from entering the room.
How to take Maloff Protect Tablets
Take Maloff Protect with food or a milky drink, where possible as this helps your body absorb the active ingredients.
It is best to take Maloff Protect at the same time each day.
Adults: Take one tablet once a day, as described below.
- Start taking Maloff Protect one to two days before travelling to an area which has malaria.
- Continue taking it every day during your stay.
- Take Maloff Protect for another seven days after your return to a malaria-free area.
- Take the full course of Maloff Protect for maximum protection. Stopping early puts you at risk of getting malaria, as it takes seven days to ensure that any parasites that may be in your blood after a bite from an infected mosquito are killed.
What do Maloff Protect Tablets contain
The active substances are atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride. Each tablet contains 250 mg atovaquone and 100 mg proguanil hydrochloride.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 2-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.89 - Delivery within 2-5 working days