What is Canesten Clotrimazole Cream?
Canesten Cream is used to treat fungal skin infections such as ringworm, athlete’s foot, fungal nappy rash and fungal sweat rash. It is also used to relieve irritation of the vulva (external thrush) or the end of the penis, which may be associated with thrush.
The active substance in Canesten Cream is clotrimazole. Clotrimazole belongs to a group of medicines called imidazoles and is an antifungal agent which fights the cause of fungal skin infections.
What are fungal infections?
Fungal infections are very common and affect many people. Some of the most common fungal skin infections include athlete’s foot, nappy rash, sweat rash and ringworm.
There are two main types of fungal infection:
- The tinea group, also known as dermatophytes.
- The candida group, also known as yeasts.
The tinea group includes athlete’s foot and ringworm, both of which are easily spread by contact. The fungus that causes athlete’s foot usually lives harmlessly on our skin and in our environment. The natural balance that normally keeps it under control can be upset by factors such as damp, moist conditions. This could happen, for example, through regularly wearing training shoes that keep the feet hot and sweaty. Since this fungus is contagious, it can also often be picked up in changing rooms. Ringworm is usually passed on from animals to children. Ringworm is not actually a worm; its name comes from the circular worm-like shape that it forms on the skin. The main symptom for both is an itchy, scaly and irritating rash.
The candida group can be responsible for conditions such as sweat rash and thrush. Sweat rash can appear anywhere on the body but is more likely to occur where folds of skin rub against each other, such as: under the breasts, under arms, around the groin and on the back. Candida is a yeast-like fungus that usually lives harmlessly on our skin. However, the natural balance that normally keeps it under control can be upset by factors such as sweating, tight or synthetic clothing and cosmetic preparations such as bath additives. When levels of the yeast increase, the skin can develop the following symptoms: persistent burning and itching, soreness and a variety of patches or blemishes as well as a softened and soggy appearance.
The candida group can also be responsible for nappy rash. Most babies develop nappy rash at some stage. Although this is rarely a serious condition, the rash can be extremely distressing for both you and your baby. Nappy rash which lasts longer than three days may be fungal in origin and will require an antifungal treatment. The symptoms of fungal nappy rash include red patches on the baby’s bottom and genitals, burning and itching.
How to use Canesten Clotrimazole Cream
- Before use, pierce the tube seal by inverting the cap over the end of the tube and press.
- If the feet are infected, they should be washed and dried thoroughly, especially between the toes, before applying the cream.
- Canesten Cream should be applied thinly and evenly to the affected areas two or three times daily and rubbed in gently.
- A strip of cream (1/2 cm long) is enough to treat an area of about the size of the hand.
- The duration of the treatment depends upon the type of infection. Generally, a minimum of two weeks is required, although up to four weeks may be necessary
The symptoms of a skin infection, such as itching or soreness, should improve within a few days of treatment although signs such as redness and scaling may take longer to disappear. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor.
You can help the treatment to work if you follow these simple self-help tips:
- Although the infected area will itch, try not to scratch. Scratching will damage the surface of the skin and cause the infection to spread further.
- Keep the affected skin areas clean.
- Pay particular attention to drying the skin, but avoid excessive rubbing.
- Do not share towels, bath mats, etc. with other people as you could spread the infection to them.
- Always wash your hands after treating the infection to prevent it from spreading.
If you have athlete’s foot:
- Remember to dry the skin between the toes thoroughly.
- Wash your socks, stockings and tights thoroughly in hot water to remove any shed skin or fungal spores.
- Change your footwear daily if possible.
What does Canesten Clotrimazole Cream contain?
The active substance is clotrimazole at a strength of 1% w/w.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £40 - Delivery within 2-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.89 - Delivery within 2-5 working days